Philosophy, Policy, Politics, and All Things Both Radical and Fairie

Philosophy, Policy, Politics, and All Things Both Radical and Fairie

Monday, July 26, 2010

Shiny Pretty Things: Tamar Kali



Welcome to my first post. Don't mind the mess, I'm just trying a few things out. In addition "Shiny Pretty Things" will be a regular feature on my blog. It's my chance to share with you my new favorite things in the world, be they people, music, websites, or whatever strikes my fancy. If you have new shiny things you think I might like to share email me at the address above.

I first time I heard Tamar Kali she wasn't even performing. She was providing a clear and reasoned critique of the Lilith Fair on an NPR piece on the return of the fair after a ten year hiatus. This self-proclaimed "hardcore soul-queen" rightfully took issue with the exclusive "sound" of Lilith, its choice of acts, and its relevancy to the current state of feminism. Case in point, there are only three headlining African American performers. Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, and Mary J. Blige are all certainly talented women who I respect and have enjoyed. But they don't exactly span the range of musical styles do they?

I started looking into Tamar and discovered her 2005 EP Geechee Goddess Hardcore Warrior Soul. Her single Boot has quickly rocketed to the number one position in my personal top 40 chart and stayed there. This is a woman who's music is as strong and declarative as her personality. She breaks gleefully breaks the hegemony of sound and image our society foists upon artists of color and looks so fucking sexy doing it. "These warrior bones ache for revolution/but the world aint ready" she sings. Honey, I'm ready...I am so ready...for your type of revolution.

Tamar Kali performs on the aptly named Flaming Yoni label. She is based out of Brooklyn, so I know about a third of you reading this have absolutely no reason to not bask in the radical and joyful aural assault she dishes out. Check out her website here.

Not bad for my first time around the block, eh? Still working on how to more effectively and asthetically blend images and eventually video into my content. Please leave your compliments, insults, critiques, professions of undying love, and death threats in the comment section. I'm really not creative enough to do this on my own. I'll be counting on all of you to keep me informed of the amazing projects you are working on so I can share them with the world.

1 comment: